Apr 13, 2010

get ready for it.

--This is the first time in a long time that I've been 100% open/personal on here...so here goes...


Okay, I am going to have to rant here.

I am seriously so sick, so over, and so fricken frustrated when people say "that's sooo gay". It is really ignorant to use the word "gay" to describe something with a negative connotation. Why is it that people have to relate the word gay to something negative? It's really lame. It's really immature. People who use it have become accustomed to using it in their everyday slang. But really, it's not so hard to insert another word into "That's so ______". Hello, ever heard of a thesaurus? When you look up the word GAY in the dictionary, does it have any relation to anything negative? NOO. I didn't think so.

I guess I am really frustrated, because people use this slang way more in Cranbrook than in Victoria (where there are obviously more gay people, and people just DON'T SAY IT!). And I have heard it/seen it more in the past 5 days, than I have in the past 5 months. I am not trying to point fingers at anyone, because everyone has said it, including me. But I stopped it a long time ago, when I realized that when I used the phrase, "that's so gay", it actually had nothing to do with anything I was referring to. It is offensive to not only the gay population, but to a lot of straight people as well. Every time I hear it, I cringe....really, I do.

I won't get into the whole homophobe thing or the slang word fag, but for those of you out there who insist on using this phrase: grow a pair, and figure out another word, another phrase, another sentence to use besides "that's so gay". Because that term is so OVER with.

Hey, we're in 2010 now, and we're smart...we can think of something else to say.

I am Taylor Knipe, and I will not stand by and keep my mouth shut when people use the phrase "that's so gay".

ps. you can also refer to the video I posted in January here

4 comments:

  1. Definitely agree! I left you a comment on your Vid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey all I can say is wow it is a privilege to have the same
    Surname as you I don't quite agree on that subject but,I do
    Love they way u stand up for the benefit of some one else I
    Would like to have a conversation with u sometime so please
    Send me a email at knipejr@yahoo.com or follow me on twitter
    Or facebook

    Regards JR Knipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. It's the same with the word "retarded". That word makes me cringe. People need to find something else to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your honesty Tay. It's definitely going to make me look at what I say. I'd like to think I don't say it much, but it probably slips out here and there. I agree with the 'retarded' comment too - I had a host-brother in Australia who was disabled, and it made me way more conscience of how an "innocent" comment can be super offensive. Want to hear more rants from you!

    ReplyDelete

past stories.

tweet tweet twitters

    follow me on Twitter