Apr 12, 2010

practicum day 01

I woke up this morning and did not wanna get out of bed because of my nerves! However, I felt wide awake, and excited to at what the day had to bring. I ended up going to school early and attending the morning Devotions. It was nice to meet all of the staff (or most of it), and everyone was female which is nice too. Devotions is new to me, but it was mostly people talking about concerns (personal concerns), and then people praying for one another.

Every Monday, there is a morning assembly that the K-6's attend. It is mostly for announcements, and the principal leads a story/lecture sort of thing. We got introduced at assembly so that most of the students could meet us (or at least see us waving!)

After that, we did the usual school thing. I decided to jump right in and starting helping with whatever needed helping. I ended up working with the Kindergarteners a lot while my teacher taught the grade 1's. I also had a chance to help out the grade 1's while they were working in their work books.

I brought a game with my to help the kids get to know me a bit better. I had 6 true/false questions (but called them yes, no), and they had to put up their thumbs or stick them down depending on what they chose. Then, I let students choose the card, and read it to the class. Then, I explained my answer. I tricked them with the last one "I have red curly hair", and they all looked at me like "WHHHAT!!", then I laughed and told them it was a joke! I got them good. Then I handed out my letter of intro, and they have taken them home to read with their parents.

Other than that, I just really had a great day with the students, and am finding myself remembering their names easily. I am trying to use names as much as possible in order to grab their attention, as well as me memorize them!

I am teaching my first lesson on Thursday, and I think I'll do my sign language one or the I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato one, because I am most familiar with those. I am teaching a PE lesson on Friday, and being observed by my Supervisor.

That's all folks! This afternoon, I have just been doing more lesson planning to prep for my supervisor visit tomorrow. My mom and I watched Brothers and Sisters, and had dinner together...and I am going to be watching Life Unexpected soon!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

past stories.

tweet tweet twitters

    follow me on Twitter